SANTA MARIA, Philippines — The Philippines on Tuesday said 1,056 people were killed and 1,200 were missing following an earthquake and tsunami in the country’s south.
The government agency, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said in a statement that about 3,000 people had been injured.
A large portion of the dead, it said, were people of low income.
The quake triggered a tsunami warning and the NDRRMcDonalds store at the heart of the quake was shut down, and all of its employees were placed on leave.
It said there were no injuries among the staff.
President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to recover the victims, including those who died.
He said Monday that the quake could be felt as far away as Australia and New Zealand.
The U.S. Embassy in Manila said it was aware of reports of a large number of deaths.
The embassy said the embassy would be sending consular officers to help local authorities respond to the crisis.
The Philippine government has been in turmoil over its handling of the typhoon and the ensuing crisis, with many of Duterte’s supporters accusing him of being soft on crime and the military.
The president has denied those claims.
The Philippines has been hit hard by the typhoons, with nearly 300,000 of the countrys 1.2 million residents displaced by the deadly typhoon that struck early Sunday.
The Philippines has also seen a number of natural disasters, including a devastating tsunami that killed more than 200 people in the northern island of Samar in November 2015.